There comes a time in every vacation where your motivation to be productive is overwhelmed by the much more appealing anti-motivation to do absolutely nothing. Black Friday 2012 was that day for me. However, a complete lazy day is sometimes exactly what the doctor ordered for a “reset” weekend.
If you’re looking for some other ideas for lazy things to do with your remaining vacation, consider the following:
- Cook with a Theme - I’ve been talking about trying some new recipes all week, but those were independent recipes with no real common theme. Yesterday, I decided it was time for a cohesive meal plan for the day. Given that Anne is a huge fan of French cuisine, I figured adding a few French recipes to the repertoire could only be a good thing. I started with some late morning crepes with a filler of Nutella and chopped cashews and topped off with homemade raspberry sauce and a blackberry merlot sauce:
For a more substantive (and less diabetes-inducing) meal, I tried my hand at Chicken Cordon Bleu with lemon and parsley infused green beans.
Some things I learned:
- A little gruyere goes a long way. Don’t overdo it with the cheese or it can become overpowering.
- A little prosciutto does not go a long way. Especially if you have some large pieces of chicken like I did, you’ll want to consider beefing up whatever recipe you’re using with a little extra prosciutto.
- Lemon juice is a potent seasoning. Be careful not to add to much, just a few squeezed lemon wedges are more than enough
- Play an Old Video Game – I’m not talking about playing Call of Duty: Black Ops because you just bought Black Ops II. I’m talking about (literally) dusting off the old console and throwing in a game that came out when you were still in high school. For me, I probably spent 3-4 hours with one of my all-time favorite game series: Tony Hawk’s Underground.
- Watch an Old TV Series - Earlier this year I got hooked on Aaron Sorkin’s new show Newsroom on HBO. Anne has been trying to convince me I would like The West Wing for years and I finally gave in after Newsroom ended for the season. Last night I finished up Season One and for anyone who remembers how the first season ended in a shower of bullets, you can understand why I’m itching to start Season Two.
- Watch an Old Movie – Seeing a theme of nostalgia here? You bet! While my friend Pete came in a little too late with his recommendation of Darkwing Duck (let’s…get…dangerous!), I elected to go with Osmosis Jones. That’s right, Osmosis F*cking Jones.
Interestingly enough, I also watched another old flick starring Laurence Fishburn later in the evening…but I fell asleep with the dog in my lap right after Neo saw the Oracle. Not a bad way to end the day.
Excited to get back into productive mode today, the second-to-last day of the Not-So-Lonely Thanksgiving. Check back tomorrow for the last post in our four-part series!
Welcome! My name is Brett Snyder and I am the Director of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) at an interactive marketing agency based in West Midtown Atlanta.
When I'm not studying and practicing SEO, you can find me hanging out with Braveheart, catching up with new and old friends, or finding a new way to stay busy.
All thoughts and opinions posted on this site are my own.